If you’re wondering, how long do laptops last? You’re at the right place. Here we’ll tell you all about the lives of laptops, and whether it’s the right time to change your laptop or not. We’ll also cover gaming laptops and the battery lives of laptops.
The advancement of technology is marvelous, how some years ago, people used to work on massive computers and now we’re using small foldable and easy-to-carry devices which perform better functions than a computer. Today we will resolve all your questions including “how long should a laptop last” and more.
How Long Do Laptops Last?
The life of your laptop depends on two things
If your laptop has good quality hardware like motherboard, RAM, battery, CPU, etc then it will obviously last longer. But, good hardware comes with a good price. The more expensive your laptop is, the more it will last. The life of a laptop can be predicted according to its price in the following way-
- If the price of the laptop is between $600-$700, it will last for some 2-4 years.
- A laptop of a price between $700-$1000 will last for some 3-5 years.
- If the laptop’s price is more than $1000, it will last for some 4-7 years.
Every day, some new hardware or software is launched in the market. The new software is made to make them compatible with new hardware. This is where the old laptops lose the battle. If you try to use new software on your old laptop then there are chances that it will decrease the life of your laptop.
If you use the laptop for general purposes like watching videos, using it for official purposes, listening to music, etc then your laptop will last longer than usual. But, if you use the laptop for running big programs like editing videos, etc. then the life of a laptop will automatically decrease.
Your laptop’s quality also depends on how often you properly clean it. You should get your laptop cleaned by professionals for its better working and longevity.
How Long Does a Gaming Laptop Last?
Gaming laptops are known for their high-quality graphics, good processors, hardware, and speed. They can easily run big games which general laptops cannot. Though gaming laptops are more expensive than general laptops, you shouldn’t expect a longer life out of them.
You can increase the life of a gaming laptop if you use slower FPS and resolutions. Playing complex games with high graphics on a mid-range laptop will obviously decrease the life of your gaming laptop. The life of a gaming laptop can be predicted according to its price in the following way-
- If the price of the laptop is between $600-$700, it will last for some 2-3 years.
- A laptop of a price between $700-$1500 will last for some 3-4 years.
- If the laptop’s price is more than $1500, it will last for 4-6 years.
How Long Does a Laptop Battery Last?
If you’re wondering, how long should laptop battery last? Well, it depends on many factors, how often you use your laptop; if you’re using the original charger or not, and whether you’re removing the charger once your laptop is fully charged or not.
Though a normal laptop might last for 3-4 years, the battery will last for only 2-3 years. In general, when the laptop is new, a quality battery lasts for some 7-8 hours but with time it decreases and becomes 2-3 hours by the end of 2 years.
Signs That it’s Time to Change Your Laptop
Now that you know how long do laptops last, let’s see if it’s time to change your laptop. If your laptop has any 2-3 of the following signs then you should change your laptop.
- Everything gets slow.
- Compatibility issues with the new software.
- The laptop keeps crashing.
- The battery is completely dead. You cannot use your laptop without a charger plug-in for constant charging.
- The laptop fans have become noisy.
- You cannot run multiple tasks anymore.
- The display quality has decreased.
- You cannot install new programs.
How to Make Your Laptop Last Longer?
After knowing ”how long does a laptop last”, it is time to make it last longer. If you recently got a new laptop or you’re planning to buy a new laptop then you got a chance. You can increase the life of your laptop by following the given tips.
- Remove the charging cable when your laptop is completely charged.
- Get your laptop cleaned by professionals.
- Save your laptop from overheating. If your laptop is heated more than usual then make sure that you immediately shut down your laptop and don’t use it until it comes back to a normal temperature.
- Upgrade your laptop whenever any new update comes to keep it optimized.
- Make sure that you have some good antivirus on your laptop to save it from viruses and malware.
- Keep it away from food.
Read more: HOW TO UNFREEZE A LAPTOP MOUSE: LATEST AND EASY GUIDE
I am certain You now know how long do laptops last. These days, laptops play a very important life in a person’s life, be that a student, a shopkeeper, or an office-going person. It’s important to invest in a good laptop and take good care of it. Make sure that you follow all the given tips so that your laptop can work properly for a longer time than usual.
FAQs- Frequently Asked Questions
Q1- How often should you get a new laptop?
It totally depends on the money you’re spending on the laptop and the functions you perform on it. If you take proper care of your laptop then your laptop will work properly for 4-5 years. You can get a new laptop every 4-5 years.
Q2- New laptop what to do?
If you got a new laptop then first things first, install a good antivirus in it so that it is safe from viruses and malware. Make sure that you don’t overburden it, it will degrade the functioning of your laptop. Clean your laptop from time to time and keep it updated.
Q3- How long do laptops last generally?
The laptops usually last for 4-5 years. But, it also depends on how good your laptop is and what functions you perform on it. If you get a cheap laptop and perform high-end functions on it then it won’t even last for two years.
- Brayden Adam is a highly acclaimed tech expert who has been working in the industry for over 10 years. He is well-versed in various areas of technology, from software design and development to networking and system administration. Brayden Adam has extensive experience in developing cutting-edge software solutions and managing complex IT deployments. He also specializes in data storage, security, virtualization, and cloud computing technologies. With his vast knowledge and expertise in these areas, Brayden Adam is a sought-after consultant for many businesses seeking to take their operations to the next level.
- Technology2023.03.09Top Ways To Protect Yourself From Scams and Frauds While Using Cash App (Latest Edition)
- Technology2023.03.02A Know-How Guide To Fix Not Receiving Text Messages On Android Issue?
- Technology2023.02.27Ethernet Splitter: What is it? Which One to Buy? Is it Worth it? (All You Need To Know)
- Technology2023.02.27Ethernet Cable: What is it? What Are The Limitation? All Latest 2023