If youre wondering, how long do laptops last? Youre at the right place. Here well tell you all about the lives of laptops, and whether its the right time to change your laptop or not. Well also cover gaming laptops and the battery lives of laptops.
The advancement of technology is marvelous, how some years ago, people used to work on massive computers and now were using small foldable and easy-to-carry devices which perform better functions than a computer. Today we will resolve all your questions including how long should a laptop last and more.
How Long Do Laptops Last?
The life of your laptop depends on two things
If your laptop has good quality hardware like motherboard, RAM, battery, CPU, etc then it will obviously last longer. But, good hardware comes with a good price. The more expensive your laptop is, the more it will last. The life of a laptop can be predicted according to its price in the following way-
- If the price of the laptop is between $600-$700, it will last for some 2-4 years.
- A laptop of a price between $700-$1000 will last for some 3-5 years.
- If the laptops price is more than $1000, it will last for some 4-7 years.
Every day, some new hardware or software is launched in the market. The new software is made to make them compatible with new hardware. This is where the old laptops lose the battle. If you try to use new software on your old laptop then there are chances that it will decrease the life of your laptop.
If you use the laptop for general purposes like watching videos, using it for official purposes, listening to music, etc then your laptop will last longer than usual. But, if you use the laptop for running big programs like editing videos, etc. then the life of a laptop will automatically decrease.
Your laptops quality also depends on how often you properly clean it. You should get your laptop cleaned by professionals for its better working and longevity.
How Long Does a Gaming Laptop Last?
Gaming laptops are known for their high-quality graphics, good processors, hardware, and speed. They can easily run big games which general laptops cannot. Though gaming laptops are more expensive than general laptops, you shouldnt expect a longer life out of them.
You can increase the life of a gaming laptop if you use slower FPS and resolutions. Playing complex games with high graphics on a mid-range laptop will obviously decrease the life of your gaming laptop. The life of a gaming laptop can be predicted according to its price in the following way-
- If the price of the laptop is between $600-$700, it will last for some 2-3 years.
- A laptop of a price between $700-$1500 will last for some 3-4 years.
- If the laptops price is more than $1500, it will last for 4-6 years.
How Long Does a Laptop Battery Last?
If youre wondering, how long should laptop battery last? Well, it depends on many factors, how often you use your laptop; if youre using the original charger or not, and whether youre removing the charger once your laptop is fully charged or not.
Though a normal laptop might last for 3-4 years, the battery will last for only 2-3 years. In general, when the laptop is new, a quality battery lasts for some 7-8 hours but with time it decreases and becomes 2-3 hours by the end of 2 years.
Signs That it’s Time to Change Your Laptop
Now that you know how long do laptops last, lets see if its time to change your laptop. If your laptop has any 2-3 of the following signs then you should change your laptop.
- Everything gets slow.
- Compatibility issues with the new software.
- The laptop keeps crashing.
- The battery is completely dead. You cannot use your laptop without a charger plug-in for constant charging.
- The laptop fans have become noisy.
- You cannot run multiple tasks anymore.
- The display quality has decreased.
- You cannot install new programs.
How to Make Your Laptop Last Longer?
After knowing how long does a laptop last, it is time to make it last longer. If you recently got a new laptop or youre planning to buy a new laptop then you got a chance. You can increase the life of your laptop by following the given tips.
- Remove the charging cable when your laptop is completely charged.
- Get your laptop cleaned by professionals.
- Save your laptop from overheating. If your laptop is heated more than usual then make sure that you immediately shut down your laptop and dont use it until it comes back to a normal temperature.
- Upgrade your laptop whenever any new update comes to keep it optimized.
- Make sure that you have some good antivirus on your laptop to save it from viruses and malware.
- Keep it away from food.
I am certain You now know how long do laptops last. These days, laptops play a very important life in a persons life, be that a student, a shopkeeper, or an office-going person. Its important to invest in a good laptop and take good care of it. Make sure that you follow all the given tips so that your laptop can work properly for a longer time than usual.
FAQs- Frequently Asked Questions
Q1- How often should you get a new laptop?
It totally depends on the money youre spending on the laptop and the functions you perform on it. If you take proper care of your laptop then your laptop will work properly for 4-5 years. You can get a new laptop every 4-5 years.
Q2- New laptop what to do?
If you got a new laptop then first things first, install a good antivirus in it so that it is safe from viruses and malware. Make sure that you dont overburden it, it will degrade the functioning of your laptop. Clean your laptop from time to time and keep it updated.
Q3- How long do laptops last generally?
The laptops usually last for 4-5 years. But, it also depends on how good your laptop is and what functions you perform on it. If you get a cheap laptop and perform high-end functions on it then it wont even last for two years.