Quickbooks is a robust accounting software created and marketed by Intuit. The company’s applications aim at small and medium-sized enterprises and also provide on-site accounting software. Often this software witnesses errors that must rectify as soon as possible. Once such an error message, reported by many users “windows firewall is blocking Quickbooks.”
As a result, we decided to create an article to assist the users to address this problem. All you have to do is stick to this article till the conclusion.
So, let’s get started!
Windows firewall is blocking Quickbooks: Brief Overview
Every time the error occurs, the user receives a window firewall is blocking Quickbooks error message. This message is usually received when they attempt to launch the Quickbooks database server manager.
Moreover, users may try various actions such as checking the firewall ports, uninstalling or reinstalling QB, turning off the firewall, running the File doctor tool, but they still may not be able to overcome the firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection error.
Actual Cause of the Error “Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks”
After getting several complaints from various users, we began to research the issues and design an effective solution to entirely resolve the “security or firewall settings might be blocking the connection” error. In addition, we investigated the causes of its occurrence and listed them below:
The windows firewall is blocking Quickbooks error happens when the computer fails to redirect the ports used by the program to connect to the internet. The application specified ports must forward by the user in order to function correctly.
Moreover, QuickBooks, unlike other apps, doesn’t use a wide variety of ports; instead, it uses a single port based on the version of the application that you are running.
In rare circumstances, the program itself may have been blocked by the Windows Firewall. It is also feasible that a third-party antivirus program has permanently disabled the application.
After knowing the fundamental knowledge of what the issue is, we will move on to the remedies. Thus, to avoid conflict, make sure to implement these in the particular sequence in which they are actually offered.
Simple Steps to resolve Windows Firewall is Blocking QB Error
Solution 1: Reboot your Windows System
To fix the windows firewall blocking internet error, you need to reboot your Windows system. In such a circumstance, follow the below directions:
- At first, select the Start menu option.
- Then press the Power button.
- Additionally, select the option Restart.
- After that, wait for your machine to restart.
- At last, when everything is successfully completed successfully, you are ready to restart QuickBooks and resume working.
After rebooting the system, you may see if the windows firewall is blocking Quickbooks error persists or not. If the issue continues to make trouble, you can proceed to the next solution and set the Windows Firewall and port settings.
Solution 2: Set up Firewall Ports
In order to allow the program to connect to the internet, firewall ports must be set. Moreover, you may set up these ports automatically by downloading and executing this program. If you don’t want it to happen automatically, follow the instructions below:
- At first, you have to click the “Port Monitor” tab in the “QB Database Server Manager.”
- Ensure that you take note of your application’s “Port Number”.
- Then, to open settings, press “Windows + I” and then select “Update & Security.”
- Further, from the left pane, you need to select the “Windows Security” tab and then the “Firewall and Network Security” option.
- Following that, from the list, select the “Advanced Settings” button.
- This will enable you to open a new window and select “New Rule” from the “Inbound Rules” menu.
- Then, select “Port” and press the “Next” button.
- Also, select “Specified Local Ports” from the “TCP” menu.
- Make note that different port numbers are merely assigned based on the version.
- Enter 8019 for QB Server Manager 2019. “
- For 2018 QB Server Manager, you need to enter the following values: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- Enter the following values for 2017 QB Server Manager: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- For the 2016 QB Server Manager, you need to enter the following values: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372.
- Then, after clicking Next, you need to select “Allow the Connection.”
- Also, ensure that all three choices are ticked before clicking “Next.”
- Click “Next” once again and provide a “Name” for the new rule.
- Once you have entered a name, click “Next” and then “Finish.”
- You can repeat the preceding steps for “Outbound Rule” and see whether the problem remains.
Solution 3: Creating a Firewall Exception
It is crucial that the QB software has an exception in the Firewall since the Windows Firewall might sometimes completely block the application despite the ports being open. As a result, we will add the QuickBooks software as an exception to the Firewall in this step. For such scenario:
- First, navigate to the Start menu.
- Then, enter Windows Firewall in the Search field and hit the Enter key.
- After that, click on Advanced Settings in the Windows Firewall box.
- Now, right-click on the Inbound Rules or, if you wish to create Outbound Rules, right-click on it.
- Then, choose New Rule.
- After that, choose the Program and hit the Next button.
- Choose an option “This Program Route”
- In addition, click the Browse button.
- Also, you must locate and choose executable files with the .exe extension.
- To proceed, click the Next button after selecting the file.
- Next, select Allow the Connection and then press the Next button.
- When a pop-up appears on the screen, ensure that all of the profiles are marked and then click the Next button.
- Then, add a rule and label it QBFirewallException (name.exe)
- Now, the procedure comes to an end.
After you’ve completed any of the tasks, launch QB Desktop and switch to multi-user mode. If there are still any problems or difficulty displaying error messages on your screen, then configure your antivirus settings.
- At last, install the antivirus or firewall software.
Please note that If you’ve previously set the firewall but it’s still causing the windows firewall is blocking quickbooks problem, you should double-check your antivirus settings. Also, check that QuickBooks’s general permissions are not restricted.
Solution 4: Remove Antivirus Software
Most consumers use antivirus software to safeguard their Windows systems. There is a possibility that your QB program will be banned if you use antivirus software on your Windows system as certain apps’ permissions are revoked by the antivirus program and QuickBooks is one of them.
Moreover, QB is unable to connect to the internet as a result of such restrictions. So, in case the windows firewall is preventing you from using QuickBooks current or other versions, simply disable the antivirus application and resume working with QuickBooks.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I turn off the firewall in QuickBooks?
To turn off the firewall in Quickbooks, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First, navigate to the Control Panel
- Then, select Windows Firewall.
- Hit “Turn on or off Windows Firewall.”
- At last, select Disable Windows Firewall.
Next, open QuickBooks to see whether the problem has been repaired and if the error notice “windows firewall is blocking quickbooks” has been deleted.
What post does QuickBooks use?
Dynamic ports are now used in QB Desktop. These are individual firewall ports that are set during installation to ensure that the QuickBooks Desktop only utilizes a certain port. Moreover, QB Desktop port format is 8019, XXXXX, where XXXXX is the port number explicitly allocated.
How can I get around the Windows firewall that is preventing QuickBooks from running?
If QuickBooks File Doctor does not resolve your firewall issue, you can configure it manually by following the below instructions:
- First, create a Firewall port exemption for QuickBooks.
- Then, set up Windows firewall exceptions for QuickBooks apps.
- After that, examine your antivirus and firewall settings.
- Also, make an exemption for QuickBooks ports in your antivirus or firewall.
- At last, start your computer again.