Wondering about how to factory reset Windows 10 in your system? Well, chances are your system has been harmed by some malware damage or there has been a virus attack. Plenty of time during Windows automatic update, malware damage takes place, hampering our system. In such cases, it becomes essential to know how to factory reset Windows 10.
It generally means once you complete the task. The system will restore to the original operating system state. All the information and data will be deleted. If your system has become slow. It is a good idea then to back up the data and perform a factory reset.
Today, we will be writing all about how to factory reset Windows 10 and how to use the command prompt for factory reset.
What is Factory Data Reset in Windows 10?
In Windows 10, the Factory Data Reset option reverted your PC back to its original state as when it first came out of the factory. This includes uninstalling all apps, deleting all files and settings, and reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows. It’s essentially like you are starting with a brand-new PC. The Factory Data Reset option is useful if you are having problems with your PC that cannot be fixed by any other means. It is important to note that you will lose all your data if you choose to do a Factory Data Reset, so make sure to back up your files before proceeding.
Command Prompt for Factory Reset
To start with, let’s begin with the operation of the command prompt for factory reset. Using the command prompt for is a quick-fire answer for this question. Once done after resetting, the system will refresh back to the original mode. Here are the steps.
- Go to the search box and type cmd and then click on Command Prompt.
- Once you have entered the Command Prompt type rstui.exe and press Enter.
- Click on Next, select an available restore point and then click Next again. Click on Finish and thereafter click on Yes.
The process of the command prompt has now begun. Important to note, a restore point needs to be done before the onset of the command prompt for a factory reset.
There is another way to factory reset Windows 10 using Command Prompt.
Simply enter systemreset – factoryreset in Command Prompt once done press Enter. There might be a situation of Windows 10 not loading the usual way.
How to factory reset Windows 10 becomes a bit different than the process required. Boot first, in WinRE, and then perform Command Prompt for Windows 10.
Besides Command Prompt for Windows 10, there are several ways to perform a factory reset Windows 10. I will be introducing you to these steps on how to factory reset Windows 10 other than Command Prompt.
Different Methods of Factory Reset Windows 10
Reset This PC
Resetting your PC has become an excellent upgrade feature of Windows 10. This process is used by many using Windows 10. Particularly owing to the fact, when the user selects, Keep my files. There is absolutely no data loss.
Here is how to factory reset Windows 10, while keeping your data.
- Go to Update and Security. You will find this in the Settings Tab.
- Click on Recovery, and select Get Started. You will find the option under Reset This PC.
- Select among the options, reset in your system.
- Follow the next options that will be appearing. Eventually, click on Reset.
Note: You can use this method to factory reset Windows 7 & all other versions present.
Windows 10 ISO Image File
Other than Reset This PC, if you want to keep the information present in the system safe and secure. There is the method of Windows 10 ISO Image File. Much like Reset This PC, Windows 10 ISO Image File, keeps all the data intact.
- To begin with, unless Windows 10 ISO Image File is already loaded in your system. You need to download the application. Thereafter follow these steps.
- Check on the location of Windows 10 ISO Image File and then double-click.
- Double-click again in the setup option, and then right-click on Yes.
- Select the Download and install updates, this needs to be performed when the system has an internet connection. Then, right-click Next.
- There will be a need to wait time for the updates to be checked upon. Once done and the license terms popup window has appeared right-click on Accept.
Again, a short waiting time for the system to check on the updates. When done, Ready to install will appear. If wished so, you can select Change what to keep to change what to keep. Once completed, select Next and Install.
Another answer to this is probably the fact, once done the system will revert to the very first-day mode. Factory reset is often considered the last option in a troubleshooter’s toolbox.
Yes, we have written about various methods to save your data. We would still highly recommend a backup before factory resetting Windows 10. This is usually performed when an old system is meant to be sold. So, you can probably infer the need to back up before the process.
There are plenty of cloud storage devices, like Google Drive or DropBox, or pCloud that would do the job fine. Often for free too. There is other backup software available. MiniTool ShadowMaker is an excellent choice in that regard. Acronis or Backblaze are other similar options.
Now You Know How to Factory Reset Windows 10
This brings us to the conclusion of our article. We have tried to provide you with a detailed step-by-step process on how to factory reset Windows 10. Hopefully, we were able to help you in your search for factory reset of Windows 10.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1) Will there be a loss of data if I perform a factory reset of Windows 10?
Not necessarily, options such as Reset This PC thus provide the options of keeping data restored after the process has been done. We would still suggest performing an additional backup before the process starts.
Q.2) How to backup data before factory reset?
There are various options to back up and restore data. Google Drive, Acronis, DropBox, and Acronis True Image are all reliable, fast, and efficient options for backup data and files of large chunks.
Q.3) How to factory reset if Windows is not loading properly?
In case of Windows not loading properly, select Boot in WinRE and then perform a factory reset.
- Brayden Adam is a highly acclaimed tech expert who has been working in the industry for over 10 years. He is well-versed in various areas of technology, from software design and development to networking and system administration. Brayden Adam has extensive experience in developing cutting-edge software solutions and managing complex IT deployments. He also specializes in data storage, security, virtualization, and cloud computing technologies. With his vast knowledge and expertise in these areas, Brayden Adam is a sought-after consultant for many businesses seeking to take their operations to the next level.
- Technology2023.03.09Top Ways To Protect Yourself From Scams and Frauds While Using Cash App (Latest Edition)
- Technology2023.03.02A Know-How Guide To Fix Not Receiving Text Messages On Android Issue?
- Technology2023.02.27Ethernet Splitter: What is it? Which One to Buy? Is it Worth it? (All You Need To Know)
- Technology2023.02.27Ethernet Cable: What is it? What Are The Limitation? All Latest 2023