Sometimes computer wont shut down properly is not a sign of any wrong reasons but if it is happening continuously then you need to pay attention to it. If your computer is in a normal situation then it will shut down without bothering you otherwise it will take much time or still will not turn off. The most common reason behind this computer wont turn off cannot be one or two as many reasons are considered for this. It may have happened due to faults in Windows system files, unrequired applications in your system, Windows is outdated, etc.
Dont worry, as all these possible causes are perfectly given here along with their needed solutions. Firstly, do a troubleshooting method, when this is done you should turn off your system to check if the solution worked or not, otherwise try the next solution. Updating drivers, disabling fast startup, changing the order of boot, and running windows updates are some of the ways of solutions. We will discuss them all in detail.
Top Resolutions for Computer Won’t Shut Down
We have added all the needed solutions that will help in resolving problems like malfunctions in your system, unrepaired files of your Windows, and others. Follow all the solutions one by one and then go over whether your computer is being shut down properly now or not.
Method 1: Force Shutdown Windows 10
You can apply this solution in a few seconds to force shutdown windows 10 and others. Follow below
- Continuously press the power button. Do this until your computer is switched off.
- Disconnect the power suppliers like Power Cord/ battery/ unplug the power code. Do it for 7 to 12 minutes.
- Start your computer and then again shut it down in a normal way.
Method 2: Turn off Fast Startup Mode
Windows logout and sleep mode programs both together make the combination of fast startup. At times, it starts interfering with the turning-off process. This is the reason the computer wont shut down, then it is very important to turn fast startup mode off, see how to do it:
- Go to the START button by tapping on the windows icon.
- In the search box, type Control Panel-> Open it now.
- Look for Power Options and select it.
- From the left side, click on Choose What the Power Button do.
- Select the Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable.
- Uncheck the Turn on Fast Startup box.
- Tap on the Save Changes.
Method 3: Get the Newest Version of Your Windows
Updating your windows will help in resolving many technical errors as well as common issues. Not only in this condition, but you should also update your system from time to time so that outdated features cannot block your working way.
If there is any update left, follow these steps:
- Visit the Start tab.
- Select the Settings option.
- Tap on the Updates & Security.
- From the left side, select Windows Upgrade.
- Choose the Check for Updates tab.
- The system will find and download updates (If found).
If the update is not working. Heres how to resolve it immediately:
- Press the two keys (Windows and R) together.
- Enter control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting into that box→ Press the OK button.
- Click on the Windows Update-> select Run the Troubleshooter.
- Perform the given instruction on your screen.
- Once again, you shut down the computer.
Method 4: Windows System Files Need Repairing
At times, you have the issue that the computer wont shut down just because the Windows system files are not in the right condition. It means they may be corrupted or damaged. Get quick steps by step solutions:
- Firstly, press the Windows key and R key simultaneously.
- Then fill cmd into the given box→ and press the OK button to run as an admin.
- Type sfc/scannow command → press the enter key.
- Do not interrupt until the process is completely over.
- Reboot the system and check if the problem is the same as it was.
- Check the computer wont turn off problem.
Note:- There should be only one space between sfc and /scannow.
Method 5: PC Won t Shut Down (Run as Admin)
With the help of a Command prompt (Cmd), you can force shut down computer. It will stop the application from running in your system. Below are the required steps to do the same.
- Go to the windows icon and press on it.
- Input there cmd or command prompt.
- Select the Run as Administrator button.
- Type this given: shutdown /p.
- Hit the Enter key.
Your system should be turned off now immediately without any updates being installed or processed.
Method 6: Turning Off Windows Delivery Update Optimization
- Tap on the Start menu.
- Choose the option of Settings.
- Click on Update & Security-> Select Delivery Optimization to carry on.
- Turn off the Allow Downloads from Other PCs tab.
- It will stop downloads from other PCs.
Method 7: Disable the Automatic Running of Applications
There are some types of programs and applications which do not stop running when you get to shut down a computer. It means they become the reason the computer wont shut down.
So, you should prevent their automatic way of running in Windows startup by setting up your permission. Disabling them will not increase the speed of startup and shutdown.
- To open the Task Manager, press all these keys at the same time: Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Tap on More Details-> Select Startup.
- Select one by one those applications over which you want to keep your control.
- Then, choose the Disable tab.
Method 8: Force Shutdown of Windows 10 with System Restore
If you have tried to form a system restore point with the help of the Windows Snap-in tool. Then you should use the restore point now to restore your system.
- Select the Start tab which is at the left corner of your system.
- Enter the Control Panel.
- Open control panel.-> type Recovery in the search box.
- Click on the Recovery option.
- Select the Open System Restore.
- Tap on Next from the interface of Restore system files and settings.
- Enter all the required details related to the date & time to restore the computer to the state it was in before the select event.
- To continue it, press the Next button.
- You need to Confirm the Restore Point by clicking on the Finish tab.
- If you have completed the process, turn off your computer.
- Reverse the computer in its previous state.
Note:- Your system files can also be lost by performing this operation, so do not forget to back up your data beforehand.
We have told you everything related to your computer wont shut down on this page. In case of any other doubts, then we are still here for you. Keep in touch with us to know the best about your systems. If you are stuck in any other technical problems, we are available 24×7 for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1- How to shut down the computer?
Ans- We will tell you the easiest ways to shut down your computer properly.
- Press on Windows from your keyboard.
Or click on the Start button and you will find it on the left side of your system and at the bottom.
- You will see a power icon (like a circle).
- In the last, tap on Shut Down.
Q.2- Why won’t my computer shut down?
Ans- Your system may encounter this problem due to one or any of the following causes.
- Your system has an internal problem.
- System drives or files are at fault.
- Virus or malware attacks
- Running unused & heavy applications
Q.3- Should you shut down your laptop every night?
Ans- Yes, you must shut it down after finishing work every night because in this way it also gets rest. Without closing properly, things keep running in the program of your system and affect the working of your system overnight.